Old March 25th 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default ###TIMING BELT CONSPIRACY THEORY###

Just my rotten luck:

Back in summer of 2003, had a local independent change
out my 1996 Ford Contour(Mondeo) belt, low 60,000s.

He had the car for three days, because he did all the work
himself. Second day, got a phone call from this guy: "Hey
look, sorry this timing belt is taking longer than I thought.
There's one end where I can't get the belt off, I'll have to
lift the whole engine out".

Got it back later on third day, don't remember how much
he charged, maybe $200-250?

Four months later, November, coming home from cross-
state on a six-lane, heard a loud buzzing sound, figured
it was some Ricer-mod going by in the passing lane.

Minute later noticed my engine was losing pickup. We
managed to exit the highway and coast all the way to a
tire & alignment place that was closed on weekends.
Called AAA and got a tow to a local garage five minutes
from home. Next day, diagnosis: 'Timing belt failed'.

So WTH did the first garage do, over the summer when
I had the belt replaced at interval?