Old May 23rd 09, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

Default Opinion on iRacing short falls.

>>>driving school game

>> Except that it doesn't serve that purpose, iRacing is an online
>> pickup racing game, not a school or a training tool.
>> For racing teams interested in a training or development tool,
>> they will buy something like rFactor pro (not the consumer
>> product, but a tool that rFactor customizes for each customer).

>I don't agree at all. The bulk of real-world racers are not in high-
>budget teams but race in different amateur or entry-level spec series.
>iRacing and rFactor Pro have completely different target markets, and
>iRacing serves its purpose very well as a training tool.

My post stated racing teams interested in a training tool, this doesn't
include the bulk of real-world racers.

Most of the real world racers aren't going to consider iRacing or any
racing game as a training tool, as most of them drive on just a few
tracks that they know very well. In some instances, if going to
a new track, the drivers might use a racing game to learn the basic
track layout, but in this case, rFactor is a better choice since it's
has so many more tracks.

Try going to a local race track and convince the club racers there that
iRacing experience would serve as a good training tool and
improve their lap times.

My point here is that iRacing is just an expensive pickup racing game
with apparently better physics than the current games out there, at
least until NFS Shift (EA has the people, and the budget to make
a better sim), or rFactor 2 is released.