Old April 14th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Rav 4x4 on the beach

On Apr 9, 1:15*pm, SnoMan > wrote:
> On 4/8/2009 10:32 PM, Reed wrote:
>

> > Bruce Burden wrote:
> >> wrote:
> >> :
> >> : Can the 2009 Rav 4 handle some light beach driving so that I may do
> >> : some surf fishing?
> >> :
> >> Yes, with caveats. Realize that very soft sand is a trap for
> >> most any vehicle.

> >> So, I would suggest that you walk your path first, and check
> >> the sand before driving on it. If you start to sink in the sand,
> >> I'd think very carefully before attempting to drive on it. And,
> >> make sure you have room to turn around.
> >> Also, DO NOT spin your tires. If you get stuck, and try to
> >> power your want out, you are most likely going to sink furthur
> >> into the sand. This will make getting your vehicle out much, much
> >> harder.

> >> Carry a shovel with you, as well as some boards you can put
> >> under the tires to help you get out of loose sand. The sand will
> >> be easiest to drive on below the high-tide mark. Getting there
> >> is generally the trick. :-)

> >> Bruce

> > Also, if stuck, especially below high tide mark, DO NOT BE AFRAID to let
> > some air out of tires in effort to get unstuck. "Soft" tires do better
> > in sand than "hard". Years ago on the Internet there was a set of
> > pictures of fellow who was stuck, would not listen to others about
> > tires, more afraid of damaging the tires. Last picture showed just the
> > roof above water !!

> Furthermore remember the golden rule in sand. When motion is lost, stop
> and regroup. Last thing to do here is spin a tire and bury it. Take a
> couple old blankets or fair sized rugs with you. WHen you get bogged
> down they can do wonders when placed under tires.

Important information.
SBJ: 4T65E
http://tinyurl.com/2lcjkv
(Confuses a 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.)
SBJ: Dumb brake question
http://tinyurl.com/2ya3wo
(Discribes the wrong brakes and won't admit it.)
SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
http://tinyurl.com/2j44zv
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.)
SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
http://tinyurl.com/2okyfx
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong
and doesn't want to admit it.)