Old June 8th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Oil leak through head gasket - tightening head bolts...

"Ben Martin" > wrote in message ...

>I am going to tighten my head bolts as a possible easy fix for an oil leak
> on a very high mileage 1990 325is.
>
> It seems to be leaking between cyclinder 4 and 5. The leak is on the
> exhaust side.
>
> One tech recommended tightening the 4 head bolts just in the area of the
> leak.
>
> Another tech recommeded tightening all of the head bolts, in the proper
> sequence, uniformly.
>
> Which is the better way to do it?????

If this is what you will try, it is probably nest to torgue them all in
the proper sequence. That way they will not be applying an
unbalanced force which could warp the head in a different plane.
Good luck deciding on a torque value since these are "stretch
bolts" which are torqued to a value, then a number of degrees.

Bob