Old March 16th 07, 04:51 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.ford

Default Which To Buy?

On Mar 13, 3:28 am, Joe LaVigne > wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 07:46:16 +0000, who wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > "Robert" > wrote:

> >> OK, that cleared a lot up. I agree. Used Japanese cars are overpriced,
> >> perhaps due to the stereotype of the American cars.

> > That reminds me of when a lady friend asked me for advise when buying a
> > new car in 1994.
> > She liked both the Taurus and Honda Accord which cost a bit more, but
> > she told me the Honda dealer told her the Taurus would be worth much
> > less in 3 years.
> > I asked her how long she intended to keep the car, she replied about 10
> > years. Then I said there will be little difference in value.
> > She bought the '94 Taurus which has served her very well and which she
> > still drives daily.

> 1994 Accord EX $2736
> 1994 Taurus LX $754
>
> These are the current private-party values for those 2 cars. The Honda
> is still worth significantly more. If she were to trade in her Ford right
> now, she'd get a paltry $323 for it from the dealer.

I think she couldn't care less. Old people usually have
a good idea how hard money are to get (for most people anyway)
and are pretty stingy as a result.
For her probably it matters only if she can get another
5 or 10 years out of it. Won't be surprised if she could.
Heck, my old boss has a 10 y.o. taurus that was stinking
(literally) pretty badly and despite making about $1/4mil (US) a year
among himself and his wife he just could not let go.
His secretary is driving LS400 though :-D