Old March 18th 04, 11:24 AM
Erik-Jan Geniets

Christopher Grenness wrote:

> I've heard that the Mercedes Geländerwagen might have the best stock
> 4x4 system with diff locks both front, rear and central, but I'm not
> sure.

As far as I know this is a part-time 4x4. So, no center diff but a
t-case.
Those are always locked in 4WD mode. They all also seem to have a
factory built in limited slip diff in the rear. Not a locker.
Lockers make steering in the snow more or less impossible.
I think still the best idea is a permanent 4WD with open diffs. Like the
Discovery II. Do not stall when driving just keep it rolling.
If you get stuck you can always try the center diff lock to get you out.
Make also sure you have the right tyres for these conditions. Air them
down if neccesary.
Kind regards,
Erik-Jan.
http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper