Old March 12th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
navaidstech

Default compression test

On Feb 21, 10:10*pm, "Private" > wrote:
> "navaidstech" > wrote in message

> > Let's see... I've got a 92 SL1 SOHC with 553,000 km on it. Been
> > putting Castrol Synth in it and a cheap Motomaster oil filter since
> > the car had 100,000 km on the odometer. I change my oil every 10,000
> > kms.
> > Did a compression test about a month ago and got 185-190 PSI in all
> > cylinders dry and cold. Didn't bother putting any oil in the cylinders
> > to do further checks, since I was happy with the readings.
> > Hope this helps!

> > Alex

> You should be happy with these numbers and your service life. *I would
> normally suggest verifying the compression test gauge but why tempt fate, if
> it aint broke, etc., it is the cylinder variation that is most important
> anyway.
>
> Looks like you got a good one, keep it as long as you can and don't fix
> anything that doesn't need opening up.
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
I intend to keep the car as long as I possibly can although it got
really close to getting junked a couple of months ago.
One of the timing chain guides has shattered leaving the chain
rattling and car losing power. My wife was super happy as she wants me
to get rid of the car and buy something "decent".... well, I stuck to
my guns, ordered a new kit and replaced the chain, guides, sprockets,
etc...
Now the car runs like new and my wife ain't very happy about that! LOL

BTW... guys at work are having a tough time believing that the car
being as old as it is (18+ years) still runs on the original clutch
and the exhaust system (well, the muffler was replaced a few times,
but everything else is original)

Alex