Old October 1st 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_8_]

Default RIP

"SMS" > wrote in message

> What was strange on the radio news today was that there was a commercial
> for Saturn, and then the newscaster segued into the story about Saturn
> shutting down, which probably didn't make whoever paid for that ad very
> happy.

The advertising is contracted for long in advance so last minute corporate
changes often don't affect it.

I remember when Texas Instruments, the semiconductor manufacturer, had
cancelled their development of bubble memories as computer storage media.
There was a big article on bubble memory technology in one of the
engineering magazines which appeared several days after the press
announcement that TI was terminating development.
http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/tubepage.php?item=30

All the same, I'm now wondering where I will get repair parts for my L
series. Many parts are dealer only. Hopefully, these will still be available
through other GM dealers.
I went thorough the same thing (25?) years ago when I had a Chrysler product
at the point when they started to go under. Since the company was producing
the Army M1 Abrams tank, they got a bail-out.
Déjà vu...