Old November 21st 20, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Stuck passenger door lock (1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

Cruiser wrote:
> Approximately how long does it take to replace a driver door
> cylinder. I have decent mechanical abilities just never attempted
> something like this.

That one is a pain as the handle has to come off to access the cylinder
and those are riveted on. You remove the inner trim, the water shield,
release the clip from the handle to the latch. Then lift up the handle
and use something to hold it up, then drill out the rivets. Then remove
the handle and now you can release the clip on the cylinder and remove
it. Install the replacement, install the handle and either rivet it on
or use some short pan head screws to re-attach it. Attach the actuating
rods and clips to the lock and handle and test it. If it works put the
trim back on. Time wise it will normally take about an hour if you have
the tools ready and have practice. So figure a DIY first time will take
closer to 2 hours or so.

Bigger question is why replace it? Is it bad or just no key? If no key a
smith may be able to cut you one from the VIN.

--
Steve W.