Old August 6th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

Default Ignition Switch

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have a 76 that needs the ignition switch changed. I have
>the wheel
> off, but can't figure out how to get the next piece off to
> get access
> to the key clinder and switch. It looks like a flat
> plastic cover.
> Thanks for your help
> Mike

you have to have a depressor to push the steering locking
plate down so you can remove the retainer ring that's
holding it in place.
if you don't have a compressor? you can use a couple if
hammer handles, place one at 9:00 o'clock and the other at
3:00 o'clock, place the other ends against you chest and
push inward to compress and hold the steering locking plate
while you remove the retainer ring. you can also have
someone help you hold the locking plate
down while you remove the retainer ring. note: you have to
walk the retainer ring up the steering post to remove it. a
couple of small flat-head screw drivers will help you
accomplish this.

after you have removed the ring and the steering locking
plate, look at you new ignition and you will see a back
spring loaded retainer near the rear of the ignition.
Picture where that will be when its installed. look at that
general area. you may have to take a flat screw-driver and
punch a hole through the pot-metal that is probably covering
up retainer that's holding the lock in place. you may or
many not have to remove the key-buzzer actuator if its in
the way? after you have installed your new ignition, reverse
the process.

another way is to get a body hammer and screw it into your
keyway at least an inch and slam the ignition out. this will
work because you have a retainer type ignition. this method
will not work on newer models as they have a screw that
holds the ignition in.

g'luck
--
"Key"