Old March 25th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Default 96 Honda LX...antifreeze disappearing act, but no leak in thebottle itself...what gives?

Shakti wrote:
> Help!!!
>
> My temp gauge spikes to the red after a mile or so of driving and
> today it started smoking under my hood, so I pull over and I notice
> that the smoke wasn't coming from my engine...it was coming from the
> front right hand side of my car, close to the antifreeze contanier.
>
> So, I check the antifreeze and notice that it's empty. I filled my
> car with the antifreeze water mix, but after about 5 minutes of
> driving my gauge spikes up again. I jump out and check my antifreeze
> and notice that it's almost half gone.
>
> I took out the bottle to check for leaks and there wasn't any. Does
> anyone have a clue where the antifreeze is going and how do I get it
> to stay, so that my car doesn't over heat?
>
> Thanks in advance...
> Jonny

You filled the reservoir, the engine drank a bunch to replace the air it
was forcing out.

Fill the reservoir to MAX, and the rad to the top. Next time the engine
is cool, do it again. It will eventually stop 'sipping' coolant but the
easiest way to tell if it's leaking is to keep it at MAX so there's some
reserve in the reservoir.

Hondas don't like to have their cooling systems neglected.

'Curly'