Old March 24th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default 96 Honda LX...antifreeze disappearing act, but no leak in the bottle itself...what gives?

"Shakti" > wrote in news:1174690238.541860.87260
@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> Help!!!
>
> My temp gauge spikes to the red after a mile or so of driving and
> today it started smoking under my hood, so I pull over and I notice
> that the smoke wasn't coming from my engine...it was coming from the
> front right hand side of my car, close to the antifreeze contanier.
>
> So, I check the antifreeze and notice that it's empty. I filled my
> car with the antifreeze water mix, but after about 5 minutes of
> driving my gauge spikes up again. I jump out and check my antifreeze
> and notice that it's almost half gone.
>
> I took out the bottle to check for leaks and there wasn't any. Does
> anyone have a clue where the antifreeze is going and how do I get it
> to stay, so that my car doesn't over heat?

Replace your head gasket.

You can try replacing the rad cap first, WITH OEM!, but don't hold your
breath for success.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ