Old February 9th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default Consumer Reports and Saturn

Consumer Reports is biased against Saturn because they always hated polymer
panels and the fit and finish of the older Saturn models. Also, CS has never
done full reviews on Saturn models noting the changes especially power train
and safety changes year by year. In 2008 CS has finally started to write
positive reports of Saturns since they went to all steel panels.

I know I will get flamed by this, I always do but I stand firm on what I
know I read. I used to collect CS magazines and the Yearly Annual Report
would many times show the EXACT same verbiage of reviews from year to year,
even though models such as the VUE, ION and Relay had some major powertrain,
safety and feature changes. Having hands on the new Saturn models year after
year, actually sitting in the exact ION or VUE or Relay with an Annual CS
magi in my hand and noticing all the discrepancies was an eye opener for me.
When CS thinks the 2003 ION and 2005 ION do not deserve mention of major
powertrain changes that put up a red flag for me.

Add to that the CS always highly rates foreign cars and has in the past been
class-action sued over their false high safety ratings of the 1st gen Focus
and Cavalier models which resulted in deaths, I give absolutely no stock in
trusting CS other than reviewing toasters and refrigerators.

That said, the VUE is a good vehicle. But stay away from 2002-2004 models
which will have the CVT transmissions. In mid-2004 the VUE went to a Honda
powetrain, eliminating the CTV belt-drive engine which was problematic. The
engine is very well built and one of the best features of the V6 VUE other
than polymer of course. The 4cyl was given a Hydromatic tranny in late 2004,
ending the CVT failed run. The VUE kept the same Saturn 4cyl and Honda
engines until 2008 when Saturn changed production of the VUE based on the GM
Daewoo concept for Opel and Saturn which now share many components.

The 2008 VUE is built in the same Ramos Arizpe plant which manufactures some
Chevys and other GM crossovers.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_n26147289

While it is not a US factory (boo) it is considered one of the higher
standard quality plants GM has in the world. The new VUE now has a
Hydromatic transmission and is paired with a number of engines including a
new 4cylinder 145hp or a variant of the Cadillac CTS engine made exclusively
for Saturn at 257 hp.

If you are looking for a used VUE, anything after mid-2004 is ok. AVIOD CVT
transmissions at all costs! In 2007 the VUE gained 5 more hp on the 4cyl, in
2006 a new rounder body style.

Hope my rambling helps you.
marx404