Old July 24th 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ringo

Default Miata's and Valve???

"charlie" > wrote in message
om...
> On 7/24/2011 1:35 AM, Ringo wrote:

>>> Strangely enough my local Mazda dealer, upon changing the timing belt
>>> at 60K, recommended just checking the water pump for leaks and not
>>> just changing in prophylactically. Though this was contrary to all the
>>> advice in RMCR, I listened to him and didn't change the pump because
>>> it seemed OK. Two weeks later the pump went out.

>>> For sure, WHENEVER I have the timing belt changed, many years from now
>>> just being at 36,700, I will definitely also have the water pump
>>> changed also. Was over at our local, "Oil Can Henry's, " again today,
>>> where I get the oil/filter done, and had one of those complete coolant
>>> flushes with the extended life stuff this last Thursday, and the guy
>>> says my hoses look great, probably because I make sure it has always
>>> been services, coolant always changed out on time with the GOOD STUFF,
>>> etc. etc.

>> Now I am considering NEXT July having the 97 Monte Carlo's hoses done,
>> radiators, heaters, as well as this one that is about the diameter of my
>> little finger, and one other short one. But I dread what that sucker
>> will cost me. Shining a flashlight behind that 3.1 liter V6, there is
>> hardly any space to get at those heater hoses/clamps. I have no idea how
>> those guys will do that. Not to mention one of the clamps on that tiny
>> hose. My good car expert guy insists that I not worry about it, even at
>> 14 yrs. old, with only less than 52,000. He says his 89 Chevy PU was
>> over 100,000 miles. And he only did it because the heads needed to be
>> worked on. Otherwise he wouldn't have done it yet. And when he took the
>> hoses off (He does ALL his own stuff), can even rebuild an automatic
>> tranny etc, he said the hoses were in great shape.
>>
>> As far as my Miata, those seriously look near new. But I only see the
>> radiator hoses and the two heater hoses that go directly from the
>> firewall onto the engine block. I don't notice any other small ones.
>> Will take a much better look, when the time comes.
>>
>> Both the 97 Monte Carlo and 2000 Miata are always garaged, rear round,
>> except of course when being used :-). Now my 94 S10 PU is parked out
>> front, and like I said earlier, that one had all its' hoses done with
>> the head gasket job, a good reason to have it done at that time, but was
>> 14 yrs. old at that time, but they all also looked great.
>>

> We changed the timing belt on my 99 at about 60k, since the engine is
> turbo'd. The only visible wear was a slight rounding of the teeth on the
> belt. The water pump and idlers were also changed. One idler's bearings
> felt like it was getting time to change, the other was OK.
> As to hoses - - at least change the heater hoses and upper and lower hoses
> when things are apart. The hoses to the oil filter mount should also be
> changed when you change the other hoses.
>
> As to valve clearance. Usually, just measuring it will tell you that
> things are OK. If not, things can get messy, since many of the dealers
> [...]

Charlie>>I definitely can't/won't wait till the time belt change to get the
radiator/heater hoses done. At the amount of mileage that I put on the
Miata, it will take an estimated ten more yrs. just to hit 60,000. If I wait
till 90K, it could be someone else's problem, based on the fact that my Dad
gave up driving at 80>>LOL. Also, last night B4 going to bed, I took a
flashlight and found those two other coolant (Small diameter) hoses that was
mentioned in this thread, coming off near what I assume is the thermostat
housing area. What they are for I have no idea. But they also look great.
You can see the dimpled type material/rubber used these days, obviously some
sort of new space age rubber composite material.

Never knew about hoses to the oil mount. Will check that out next time I
have to hood open for whatever reason. Also forget going to a DEALER. I
won't be ripped off by one. I certainly hope that a NON dealer shop is
knowledgeable enough to, "GET ER DONE," as Larry the Cable Guy would say
:-). I go to a nearby (Within walking) distance shop, that is recommended
on, "Click & Clack's" (The car talk guys), "Mechanic Files,"//cartalk.com,
where you can also catch their very informative/great/funny radio program
(Listen now is FREE).

Also a dealer footnote, we have no Mazda dealer within reasonable distance.
The dealer I bought mine from in the next town up the freeway stopped being
a Mazda dealer (Must have been the economy). And the next town DOWN the
freeway has one, but is between 15>20 miles away. Not that convenient.