Old January 17th 04, 02:17 AM
rnf2

"David Thomas" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm considering adding rear air springs to my '99 Toyota 4Runner to
> level the 4x4 when towing our 2003 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up camper. I'm
> mainly concerned about the coil springs rubbing holes in the air bags
> over time. This is my wife's kid taxi so no plans for mudding or any
> rough off-road (although we do live down a 1/4 mile gravel drive).
>
> I'd like to hear from other's experiences with these air springs. What
> brand they used, how long the bags last, that sort of thing.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David

Why do you need to level it? A towed item such as a caravan or trailer
should be balanced to have about 20-50Kg on the towbar. IOW you should be
able to lift it comfortablly without straining, and it should definately
notdepress the springs overmuch.

You should be able to pack the camper proper, I've been able to lift with
one hand the drawbar of trailers loaded with over 2 tons.

rhys