Old October 6th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

Default Dies at idle...do I need I new carburator?

In article . com>
> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 11:20 am, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote:
>> The idle problem doesn't connect necessarily to the pulled thread
>> of the carburetor stud.

>> Anyway, first you have to fix the stud, as this is a more serious
>> problem. You have to buy a helicoil insert to repair 8x1.5 mm metric
>> thread (I'm not 100% sure if it is a 8x1.5, please someone verify
>> this), a special tap and a special diameter drill to enlarge the
>> hole. The tap, the drill and some helicoil inserts are usually sold
>> as a set, at a reasonable price. Don't go for a complete set which
>> has many different sizes, as it will be very expensive.

>> You need first to remove the faulty stud from the carb. Use two
>> nuts locked together, to unscrew the stud from the carb body. Then
>> use the special drill to enlarge the hole and tap it with the
>> special tap. Then screw the helicoil insert with the tongue-side in,
>> using a small flathead screwdriver that fits by the tongue. Use
>> thread locking fluid on the helicoil. Then screw the stud in the
>> helicoil, and you are done.

>> About the idle problem.
>> Dying at idle means the idle circuit is not working.
>> Either the electromagnetic cut-off valve is defective or not
>> getting power (it must click when you toggle the ignition switch on
>> and off).
>> Or the idle jet or idle circuit passages are blocked. You need to
>> dismantle the carb and use compressed air to clean the idle circuit.

>> The only reason to ditch a carb is if the throttle shaft bushings
>> are excessively worn and you can't find anybody to get it rebushed
>> at a reasonable price, or if it is bent / cracked / corroded. Not
>> idling is not a reason to replace a carb.

>> Bill Spiliotopoulos,
>> '67 Bug.

> I'm thinking the idle problem could be the pulled stud.
> If the carb doesn't bolt down good, couldn't you be sucking in some
> air around the gasket and/or base of the carb ? Might also warp
> thebottom of the carb ?

> Randy

I've grinded the bottom of the carburator to even it out, tried to
tighten itthe best I could with the resorces I have... Still no
success.
Went to the store and they told me they get me a new carburator for
140 euros (~140 dollars), and that is one of the best problem solvers
I could buy for my vw. Millage, problems, etc. I'm tempted... to tired
of working on the car,and not enough driving it.
The carburator they have is one of those brasilian ones. Any toughts
on those? Mineis really tosted...

Thanks
MM
'70 1300 bug

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo