Old December 12th 04, 10:12 PM
User132384

Default Wiper Motor Questions 85 Chevy Caprice

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the wipers on my 85 Caprice.

Here's the sequence of events:

2 days ago wipers start acting weird : They "park" themselves after each
cycle, in Low and High. They park for about a second, then start the next
cycle. In "intermittent", they work normally, except that when you click to
the "off" position on the multifuncttion lever, they stop dead in their tracks,
instead of cycling down and parking. You can get them to to "park" by turning
the mfl to "off" when they have parked themselves.

Yesterday they died totally. I went out and bought a new washer pump with
the circuit inside it that controls the wipers. Installed it and now I have the
same "weird" situation again. They still park themselves after each cycle, in
low and high. At least they work, somewhat.

Here's the interesting part : When I put the MFL in the "high" position,
smoke appears from either the washer pump or the wiper motor, and a loud
squealing comes from the same area. I guess it must be the wiper motor
squealing. ( I hope the smoke is not from the circuits burning out in the
washer pump!)

Even after this smoke has puffed out a couple times during my testing, the
wipers still work, in their strange way.

It's the original wiper motor, so it's 19 years old now.

I'm afraid to use the wipers on "high" now. Is the wiper motor dying ? Would a
dying motor kill off the cicuits in the washer pump too ? Why is it smoking
on "high" ?

Any help appreciated !