Old November 21st 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
CWLee

Default Ford's "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler?

I just learned that the 2010 (and perhaps earlier) Ford
Explorers, and other Ford models, have what Ford calls
"Easy Fuel" capless fuel fillers. As near as I can
tell, instead of unscrewing a cap, one inserts the gas
pump nozzle into an opening which automatically moves
aside for fueling, and immediately closes when the
nozzle is withdrawn. So far, no problems.

I also learned that one can buy a locking cover, to
protect your gas tank from someone siphoning gas out.
However, Ford says on one of its websites that it is
almost impossible to siphon gas out, due to a second
"one-way valve" on the tank where the filler attaches.
That sounds OK to me too.

Here is the potential problem I'm wondering if any of
you have faced. The website also suggests that gas can
be placed into your tank ONLY with a properly sized
nozzle from a gas pump. Suppose you run out of gas,
and need to add gas from a plastic 2- or 5-gallon gas
can? Can one do it, or does that second "one-way
valve" deep into the filler keep the gas from entering
the tank?

Has anyone here been successful in adding gas (other
than at a gas station) to a Ford which is equipped with
this relatively new device?

Thanks.

--
CWLee