Old July 7th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
fred

Default Barn Find Bites Back

Ad absurdum per aspera > wrote in
:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/au...05EGO.html?8dp
> c=&_r=1&pagewanted=all
>
>> "So I pulled it out of there for 50 bucks. It wasn’t running but I got

> it running right away.
>>
>>“It was a big mistake,” he continued. “When I first started working

> on it, I would get ticks.
>> I had to actually fumigate the car.”

> (Now I'm trying to remember the 70s buddy comedy set amid a
> fairgrounds level of dirt-track racing and demo derby, in which one
> character exclaims, "I always wanted to wreck a '50 Studie.")
>
> Though getting *ticks* is pretty extreme, I think that in general
> principles we can all relate... I've had wiring catch fire (just a
> smolder; it went out by itself), had a friend follow behind (but not
> too close behind) in case one of the literally worm eaten tires gave
> way... so what have you guys been through on the first drive of a
> just-purchased resto candidate?

Not exactly what you're asking, but anyone walking through a field
(particularly in the US midwest) can pick up deer ticks *real* easy. I got
the shock of my life one time as I was sitting in a restaurant in Grand
Rapids and noticed one on the back of my hand. Put me completely off
eating. I walked about 1/4 mile through a field with long grass to the
restaurant.