Old September 26th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
SilverStude

Default Stroke vs Bore for a Given Displacement?

wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding stroke vs bore for a given displacement. I
> think that having a larger bore and shorter stroke will create larger
> low end torque vs a smaller bore and longer stroke. The reason I think
> is this is that the larger bore will have a bigger explosion/hammer so
> torque is bigger. But this engine will not be as fast as the smaller
> bore since its reciprocating mass is much bigger and hence can't rev as
> high. Can't find much on the net about this or increasing the # of
> cylinders for a given displacement.
>
> TIA,
> Dan

You always get more torque, when the stroke is longer. The short stroke
engines, like the early Ford 260, have to rev up a bit to achieve a
reasonable driving torque. Compare that with a vintage straight 8,
that can accelerate, smoothly, in 4th gear from 10-12 mph to top speed....