Old October 18th 18, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil changeand ending with engine replacement

On 18/10/18 8:29 am, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> Oren
>> For me, keep the list simple.Â* Stuff you would check or have done
>> before a road trip.
>>
>> Simple DIY @ home is not opening the engine. Is the class on basics or
>> cars with computers...Â* I'd stay simple making the list, myself.
>>
>> What can I do with the resources I have on hand!

> The first lecture was all about the common fallacies of car repair.
>
> His very first question on the board was "Why isn't your wife here?"
> Then he asked everyone in the class that question, and we said why.
> (Mine has never touched anything dirty or greasy in her life.)
>
> As he wrote down the answers, an assistant (his kid?) passed out a sheet of
> paper which had every one of the reasons we each said, already on it.
>
> He said they're universal whenever someone doesn't want to do any job.
>
> For tools, he said at the price of repairs now the tools always pay for
> themselves, often on the first use depending on the tools & tasks.
>
> He said learning is easier now than it ever was before, given the Internet.
>
> He told us that anyone who tells us otherwise just doesn't like doing it
> which he said was ok but for us to simply recognize it as an excuse.
>
> I couldn't keep the homework list at 10 given the input. How does this
> look, in a general order of easy to hard?
>
> 1. Oil & filter change
> 2. Battery replacement (standard battery setup)
> 3. Periodic scheduled maintenance (sometimes called a scheduled tune up)
> Â* (filters, spark plugs, wipers, hoses, pcv, fluids, tires) 4. Belt &
> belt tensioner replacement
> 5. Brake overhaul (rotors, drums, pads, shoes)
> 6. Cooling system overhaul (radiator, waterpump, thermostat, hoses)
> 7. Alternator replacement
> 8. Shock absorber or strut replacement
> 9. Starter replacement
> 10. Engine belt, chain guide, or engine chain replacement
> 11. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
> 12. Remove & replace engine

Ditch the timing belt/chain replacement. There's way too many
opportunities in that task to really do your engine in unless you know
what you are doing. Ditto with strut replacement.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)