Old March 15th 07, 07:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
grinder

Default I don't like electric assist stearing.

"Fred W" > wrote in message
. ..
> grinder wrote:
>> "Fred W" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>>I have a feeling that you are misunderstanding and misusing the term
>>>"understeer", which may be leading to a lot of the confusing answers that
>>>you are getting.
>>>
>>>Understeer is the condition that occurs during cornering where the car
>>>wants to "push out" the front end, pointing the car toward the outside of
>>>the corner. In essence you are "under steering" the corner. Oversteer is
>>>exactly the opposite, where the rear end kicks out and points the car
>>>toward the inside of the corner.
>>>
>>> These have mostly to do with chassis balance, weight distribution and
>>> dynamic weight transfer during cornering. It has very little to do with
>>> the amount of steering "power assist" or the steering ratio.
>>>
>>>--
>>>-Fred W

>> From a review:
>>
>> "In fact, if there's a fault to be found with the Z4's handling, it's the
>> opposite: The rear sticks longer than necessary (read "understeer")."

> Correct, just as I said above. And this has zero to do with the electric
> steering assist.
>
> --
> -Fred W

You're right - I was wrong. Unfortunately unlike many members in this group
I recognized a flaw in the Z4's handling and attributed it to the
electrical assist steering. I should have attributed to the design of the
suspension.

In any case. The understeer is still present regardless of the source.