Old June 14th 19, 05:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen G. Holder

Default Clare - are smaller car tires easier to balance than SUV tires?

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 12:58:31 +1000, Xeno wrote:

> Use the term Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) as your vehicle likely does
> not have kingpins.

Hi Xeno,
I typed up a super detailed response, after viewing every second of those
three videos, where the first and last seem to have the same graphics, and
the middle (whiteboard) one was a bit different - and where that wheelcam
shot of the tire literally bending away from the rim - and the temperature
methods of determining footprint on hard cornering were illuminating.

I hate losing data, but I lost it when the PC rebooted, so suffice to say I
appreciate the videos, from which I learned good stuff, particularly about
that "scrub radius".

I didn't find a lot on the net about "camber scrub", and those videos
didn't cover specific tire wear on the slow speed (less than 40mph)
constantly lock-to-lock turns we perform on the mountain, where the goal
is how to modify the set up for the vehicle in a compromise to minimize
that 'camber scrub' on FWD and RWD vehicles without adversely affecting
straight-line handling.

> Yes, that is basically all the small service station had next door to
> where I did my apprenticeship. You have missed the primary requisite
> however - a guaranteed dead flat and level garage floor. Also a lock to
> lock the steering wheel to the desired centre position;
> https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sJIAA...58p/s-l225.jpg

Everyone says you need a perfectly flat garage floor, which, as far as I
know, mine is pretty flat based on putting a level on it - but I don't
really know how flat is flat enough.

Given that a millimeter or two of height adjustment in any one corner might
be necessary for most garages, I guess your suggestion above adds two
nice-to-have tools to the home DIY alignment check mix...
o Steering wheel centering lock
o Some kind of way to put the 4 wheels on a wormscrew-adjusted plate

Googling found the first, but the second was in the thousand dollar range.

Are there good redneck solutions for leveling the four tires?