Old December 16th 12, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob[_57_]

Default '71 Ghia jumpy fuel guage

On Dec 15, 4:19*pm, David Gravereaux > wrote:
> On 12/15/2012 09:01 AM, Steve Mc wrote:
>
> > It works, but it jumps from empty to it's actual quite a bit.

> > Most likely cause ?

> > Thanks,

> or even pressure in the tank. *I think that's my problem with my gauge
> going from half to 1/4 for no reason. *My line to the charcoal bottle is
> apparently blocked
>
> --

I've had two fuel sender problems. On my 1967 bus, the fuel gauge
quit working. About 4 years ago, I fill the tank with E85 because it
was cheap. However, I didn't know what E85 actually was. I drove it
non-stop for 100 miles and when I pulled into town, the engine had
significantly reduced power. I then filled it with regular gasoline,
got all my power back and my fuel gauge has worked properly ever
since. My second issue is with my 1995 Subaru. They don't sell
Chevron gas were I live and I know from past experience from 2006 that
if I use Chevron, my gas gauge works. This past Thanksgiving, I drove
from Cheyenne WY to Houston TX and back. I used Chevron all the way
and my gas gauge is working again. I have used Techron additive, but
it doesn't seem to work as good as the actual gasoline.