Old June 5th 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon

Default Next up: suspension upgrades

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 12:00:30 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> So the new wheels and tires are a big hit...
>
> ...and new spark plugs have put a little zip back into the engine...
>
> ...and big brakes are out for now, because:
>
> 1. The 15x7.5 6ULs won't fit over any of the aftermarket big brake
> kits without spacers (small ones; maybe 10mm max.); minor
>
> 2. I had to spend $$$ on making the current brakes work properly
> enough to take my long distance run down to Pullman, Wa. and I'm not
> going to spend on big brakes until I no longer feel that pain. :-)
>
> So I think the next logical step would be to replace the still
> original shocks and springs (after 212K km; do you think it's past
> due?)
>
> So I'm looking for opinions.
>
> I'd rather do it once and do it right, so I don't mind spending a
> couple of grand to get a suspension that will go from the street, to
> the autocross track to... ...who knows?
>
> One other useful data point might be that I do want to be able to
> raise the ride height up to at least stock NA levels (if not a tad
> higher) for winter driving.
>
> I've looked around some, and I'm leaning heavily towards 949 Racing's
> Xida Clubsports or Flyin' Miata's AFCO setup. I like the potential to
> upgrade the Xida's to dual springs and double and even
> triple-adjustability, but I like the extremely long travel that FM
> seems to have dialed into their AFCO's.
>
> But I'm also open to other ideas...
>
> Has anyone here used either of these, or something else that they
> think might be in the same ballpark? Actual comparisons between these
> (with each other or with other setups) would be good to read.

I posted in the Got 'em! thread before seeing the budget. I've never
owned an NA, so take this for what it's worth.

Your car has been on the road for a long time. I would think about
stiffening: a butterfly brace and possibly a rollbar if you don't have
one already.

Given that you're still on OEM suspension, any package you buy will
utterly transform the handling of your car. You won't need to go
crazy to see really noticeable gains.