Old January 1st 05, 07:23 AM
Biz

I'm thinking you've never hit a REAL pothole say in teh midwest or the
northeast with an alloy wheel. It can put such a flat spot in a rim there
is no way you can ever fix them. I've probably bought 6-8 rims in the last
15 years for my 1985 GTI....

Typically alloys do weigh less, but it should be easy to get the weight of
the wheel you want to use, and not that hard to weigh one of the ones you
have and subtract the tire weight.
"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
> > Fred Fartalot wrote:
> >
> >>I am thinking of replacing the stock 16 inch steel wheels on my 2004
> >>Golf with 16 inch alloy RAVE wheels.
> >>
> >>Will the new alloy wheels be heavier or lighter weight?
> >>
> >>I asked the VW dealer last week and the 2 guys there argued about it
> >>and I never got an answer and finally just left.
> >>
> >>Thank you.
> >>

> >>maybe the weigh exactly the same?....

> > I think that may depend on the particular alloy wheels you are

talking
> > about. The idea behind the first alloy wheels is their reduced weight.
> > However I suspect that many today are heavier than the steel wheels they

are
> > replacing.
> >
> > Do consider that alloy wheels are more prone to damage and leaks

than
> > steel wheels. If you are in a pothole area this can be an important

issue.
> > One pothole and you may be looking for a new wheel. Finding a new one

in a