Old April 16th 18, 06:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Am Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:50:59 -0700 (PDT), schrieb trader_4:

> It's really quite amazing that with this Apple crap that people pay huge
> premiums for, you can't just directly download a freaking Youtube video?
> WTF? Isn't there a Youtube app for ios that allows that? WTF?

You bring up a good point, trader_4, which is that what's trivial on
Android is actually impossible (or at least a lot harder) on iOS, but I
play with all operating systems - so I deal with them as they come to me.

So yes, Android does everything iOS does, and then tons and tons and tons
more, while iOS doesn't do even what Android does, and iOS does nothing
that Android doesn't already do.

Hence, I agree that iOS users put up with this Apple crap ... but it is
what it is - and all we can do is deal with it if that's what we have in
our hands.

To always try to add value, on Android, here's what I suggest:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/

Be warned that the Google Play knockoffs on New Pipe seem to have taken the
source code and added their advertising crap to that source code and then
remarketed it on Google Play - so I only recommend the F-Droid version but
if you don't want to use F-Droid, the Google Play knockoffs do work and
even they are better than Youtube is.

If we use Android - that's the only app that is needed to download any
video and then play it offline at your leisure (we were working on the car
at the neighbor's house who didn't have a router so we couldn't connect to
their Internet).

To continue to add value, one advantage of Linux over Windows is that Linux
actually works BETTER than Windows with an iOS device. You just connect the
iOS device by USB and slide the files over into the "private space" of the
VLC app and you're done.

On Windows it's slightly more complex because iTunes or the Apple Device
Drivers are needed (IMHO), and that's just not acceptable. At least when I
plug the iOS device into the latest Win10, but without iTunes or Apple
crapware, what shows up is not nearly as much as what shows up on Linux,
and on Linux, it's two way whereas on Windows it's only one way.

Another question I might ask here is why did I have to MODIFY the speaker
drill holes. I realize the simple answer is "you just have to". But Jesus.
It's just a 6x9 oval speaker for heaven's sake. There's nothing in a
speaker which necessitates "special" drill holes.

Why don't they just make speaker holes standard like a billion other things
are standard (e.g., USB or pipe fittings or quick couplers, etc.)?

Also, I didn't realize speakers have a +/- wire. What happens if you
reverse that?

Note though that it's hard to reverse them since both the connection on the
speaker and the harness connector on the car had one wire with a red stripe
and the speaker itself had a plus and minus sign and the terminals on the
speaker were different sizes and the harness connector on the car only
clipped in one direction.

So they did a *lot* of things to ensure that you don't get the wires
crossed.

But what happens if you do cross the wires? (Just curious.)