Old April 16th 18, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Am Mon, 16 Apr 2018 15:05:15 +0100, schrieb James Wilkinson Sword:

> Why not use a Windows based tablet instead of ****ing
> about converting it to Apple's ****ed up language?

If you can improve on this question, let us know:
*Q: How would you download this video to watch offline on an iOS device?*
https://youtu.be/Ve-kcKxbXx4

You bring up a good point, which is that the iOS tablet is the hardest type
of tablet to get to work in the real world with other operating systems.

I have an android tablet, where it's so easy to download any movie
*directly* to the tablet, that it's not funny. Almost nobody knows this
trick, but all you need to do, on Android tablets, is install the F-Droid
(don't use the Google Play app which is a knock off with ads!) free ad-free
YouTube Red clone named "New Pipe". That app is so wonderful that you'll
never use YouTube ever again, since it's YouTube on steroids, without any
ads ever, and where it can download any video or audio.

So I didn't mention Android because it's just too easy.

I don't have a Windows tablet, so I was showing folks how to do it on iOS
since iOS is always a thousand times harder than Android is due to its
walled garden nature (as everyone is already aware).

BTW, Linux and Windows plays so nicely together that it was also a no
brainer.

Linux, for example, reads beautifully the entire Windows file system (well,
except for the tricky stuff Windows just added in the February Win10 where
they secretly modified the NTFS, e.g., the wuaueng.dll file as one
example).

Given that Windows does Youtube downloads beautifully, and that Linux sees
the entire Windows disk, and that Linux plays far nicer with an iOS device
than does Windows sans the iTunes abomination, that's why I used the system
that I used. (Because it's the best of all worlds.)
http://i.cubeupload.com/6MxqLo.jpg

So, while on Android I would have just searched, viewed, played, stripped
audio, and downloaded video using the same NewPipe app, the iOS device
necessitated a multi-step but still trivially simple process of...

1. On Windows, I downloaded the video using the extremely powerful and
super flexible command-line youtubedl.exe app.

2. Booting to Linux, I already had the results (since Linux sees Windows
perfectly), and then connected the iPad, and since Linux sees iPads better
than does Windows, I slid the file over into the VLC space on the iPad to
play it there.

If you know of a *better* way to do those two tasks, assuming the
constraint of only open-source freeware, then let us all know as we'd all
benefit from the technical expertise.