Old January 16th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default Mustang GT and K&N air charger

wrote:
> On Jan 15, 1:23 pm, Michael Johnson > wrote:
>> Gill wrote:

>> That's because the overall specific energy of E10 is less than pure
>> gasoline. This is why going to biofuels is a horrible idea, IMO. We
>> use up our top soil

> Using proper farming techniques, top soil will last forever.

It just won't stay in the same place. Erosion from farms is far worse
than from land development activities. Top soil can be depleted to the
point it can't grow much which is why farmers so much fertilizer to
their land.

>> to fill our tanks and at the same time increase the cost of food
>> substantially.

> No it won't. It'll promote farming, which in turn will keep our top
> soil from being paved over/ruined. To cut your food costs, just cut
> out the convenience -- i.e. eating out, packaged meals, etc.

It has already increased food prices world wide. The UN's food budget
is going through the roof because of the demand of biofuels.

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/display.article?id=10167

>> I would rather eat for a reasonable cost than fill up my tank

> Remember to add in to your calculations the cost of you/us to keep the
> Middle East stable.

.... or to keep a nuke from going off on the Mall of Washington, DC.

>> with something that gives me less mileage, for about the same
>> cost, than evil old 100% gasoline.

> We have to cut our dependence on oil. (We've needed to since the
> 70's.) The demand for/cost of oil is only going to intensify in the
> future with so many counties becoming industrialized. And with this
> increased demand there's going to be added pressure to control the
> spicket. This means at some point a couple/few of the big boys -- US,
> China, Russia, India, or some other nuclear country -- is going to get
> into a fight and the results won't be pretty.

IMO, we are heading in the right direction. It is just too slow for my
liking. China and India has eight times our population and just think
how much oil they will consume if they develop even half as much as we
have today. We have no option but to change. The funny thing is I
think the general population in the USA wants it and is ready for it but
our government can't get their **** together to make it happen.

Countries can't fight each other anymore. Their will be no winners,
only losers. It is one of the benefits of a global economy. If China
blows us up who will buy their cheap goods and where will they get
wheat, corn etc. to feed 1.5 billion people? IMO, terrorism is a much
bigger threat than war between nations.