Old February 15th 13, 02:15 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

Default Force = Mass x Acceleration

"Dad" wrote in message .. .

"tww1491" > wrote in message

Snip
> I second that. Had some close ones over the years, but nothing like that.
> Took quick thinking on Dad's part otherwise it would have been a head-on.

At my age quick thinking is not what I can rely on, survival mode, turn
right, left, right, left, and hit the brakes. More reflex than anything
else, that was our video games in the '50s. When it snowed we used to go off
the side of the road and see who could slide sideways the furthest and still
get it back on the road. If the snow was just right we could run up the cuts
through the hills until it couldn't pull any more and then try to get back
to the road. Yeah, we had to push each other out once in a while but we
learned something and had fun doing it. I still test the road surface when
it looks to be slippery, braking, acceleration, steering control until the
right seat starts making noise. She's allot of things to me but I wouldn't
ride to the mail box (200 ft) with her in the snow, can even scare hell out
of me on a sunny day.

One thing I do is hit bridges at a point where I can run straight across
them in case they have black ice of anything else that can make it slick.
Two weeks ago we went to a wedding after a cold snap and snow the day
before. You should not believe how many spinouts there were on the exit side
of the bridges.

I try to drive so the other driver gets home alive, that makes my chances to
do the same just that much better.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-firs...c-ro-156717623

Black ice was a real problem in the UK when I was stationed there. Lived in
Ely which is in the Fens with two lane roads that dropped off about 30 ft
into ditches. And the fog -- you could not see the front of your car when
it hit. At the time for me it was a 20 mile drive to RAF Mildenhall where
I worked. Ely sat on what was an island originally with the cathedral
(started in 985 AD) a very prominent landmark.