Old October 22nd 10, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Newman

Default 2000 Ford Taurus in tank fuel pump, make access hole in floor?

"Mark" > wrote in message
>I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, the in tank fuel pump needs to be replaced.
>
> Instead of dropping the tank, I am considering cutting an access hole
> in the floor as is commonly provided on many cars.
>
> Questions..
>
> Anybody try this on this car?
>
> Can anyone provide information about the correct location to make the
> access hole?
>
> Will I be able to reach the electrical connectors from above or will I
> have to go under the car to reach those?

Mark,
I did this on my daughter's '99 Taurus about a year ago. There are several
places on the Web that show pictures on where to cut. BUT, after all was
said and done, I think its harder than just dropping the tank and doing it
the right way.There's almost no clearance between the floor and the tank and
hoses, so you have to be extremely careful when cutting the floor. And it's
harder to get the pump out because you can't reach and remove the wires and
hoses from the top of the tank. When covering the hole back up,you have to
make sure that the patch is flame-resistant, and getting the sheet metal
patch to fit the contours of the floor isn't easy. I ended up using
fire-proofing caulk to seal up the gaps.

Which ever method you decide on, here are some helpful links. I also have
lots of pics I took when I did it if you want them.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-s...-pump-r-r.html
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=59135
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=86180