Old January 10th 05, 12:28 AM
JP

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
k...
> "JP" wrote:
>
> > > All good setups start off loose and "come in" after a couple of laps,

> but
> > > you might be up against a difference in driving style. Try not taking

> your
> > > foot off the accellerator and left foot braking to slow for the turns
> > > instead of lifting, especially at the faster tracks.
> > >
> > > Jan.
> > > =---

> > Which of course, is not done in real life, except at the ss tracks.

Any
> > other track would toast the brakes long before the race end.

> You may be right, but think of the abuse 4WD & FWD rally cars brakes must
> have with much greater requirements for decelerating than Nascar even
> allowing for the shorter distance.
>
> Even comparing it with road courses where 100+ mph are taken off at some
> tight corners it would seem not inappropriate to use the brake instead of
> lifting.
>
> As I know bugger all about Nascar rules on brakes I could be talking

rubbish
> of course...
>
> Cheers
> Tony

True, but you're talking about completely different vehicles; besides
being much lighter than say, a WC stock car, they have completely different
powertrains. I.e., 4wd/fwd vs rear wheel drive stock cars, along with
different brake component materials. Among other things.

On a non-ss oval, lift/brake is the norm. Left foot braking is done, but
there's still lifting too. On SS tracks, they don't lift, even when they
*ride the brake.* But then, their top rpms are about 1/3 less or more than
normal too, among other things.