Old June 7th 07, 10:55 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_1_]

Default 159 2.4 JTD

"davea" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is performance the first thing you consider when buying a diesel? I
> wouldn't say so. 9 times out of 10 people going for a diesel want
> economy first, obviously.
>
> What I meant before is that no matter what I said when I was looking
> at the 159 the salesman always tried to push the diesel. I went over
> to the brera for a look and salesmen said "that's available in a
> diesel as well!". I ended up not buying either.
>
> My advice, test drive both petrol and diesel work out the difference
> in purchase price and cost of fuel. Think the diesel is about 2K more
> than the petrol to buy new and certainly round my area diesel is 5-10p
> per litre dearer than petrol.

But when you look at second hand, the price difference closes right up, so
given the choice of 200hp with good fuel consumption or 170-180 + lower fuel
consumption, the 'on paper' choice is clear. Only a test drive will decide
it (in a couple of years time). Wrong group to say this, but I'm tempted by
a Jag X-Type or S-Type. I'm not sure which is which yet, but I like the one
that doesn't look like a big Rover!