Old August 18th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

Default 2001 Buck Century-Just wierd or a junker?

wrote:
> It's got 43,000, mostly city driving with some brief freeway runs. Two
> probs. First, it's using about a quart of oil every two or three
> months. Not leaking on driveway and the car's not smoking. Inside of
> the exhaust pipe isn't light grey but it's not sooty black either. Is
> it leaking elsewhere or am I headed for a ring job?

How many miles are you racking up over those two to three months? If
you're putting 2-3K on it in that time, which is probably about average
use, there is absolutely no problem, that is acceptable oil usage.

> Secondly, the Low Coolant light stays on long after other dash lights
> have checked and gone out. After five or six miles of driving the Low
> Coolant light goes out. There's plenty of coolant in resevoir and the
> radiator. On secondary startings during the day, Low Coolant light
> performs like other dash lights; unless over a long stop, then Low
> Coolant light stays on for five or six miles. This is not an
> intermittent occurence.
>
> Anybody experience these symptoms? I suspect it might take a legit
> mechanic days to diagnose?

Sounds to me like whatever sensor is in the coolant reservoir is
sticky; I would be willing to bet that cleaning or replacing it would
solve your problem. I have had this same issue on various BMWs and VWs
and it's always the sensor.

nate