Old February 22nd 11, 08:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan Baker

Default 215/40-R16 Yokohama S.Drive tires

In article
Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> Alan Baker > wrote:
>
> > Lanny, with respect, I think you're overstating the case.

> I'm just relating personal experience.
>
> Just for kicks, I once backed halfway down my short, snow-covered
> driveway. I could stop, barely; I set the handbrake, had my wife give
> the car a push with one hand, and slid all the way to the street (which
> was clear). With the rear tires at the curb, I let the clutch out in
> first, got out of the car, and watched the tires churn slowly at idle.
> This was with T1Rs, and I would call it a total lack of snow grip.
>
> Perhaps your snow is different. Wetter, because Vancouver doesn't get
> very cold? I've driven my Miata in snow exactly once, because the snow
> arrived early and a meeting ran too long. It was 15°F, I had Dunlop
> D60s, and 1/4" of dry snow was scary over 30 mph.
>
> I normally enjoy driving in snow, and I'm good at it, but Miatas are
> rotten in snow without proper tires.

I've driven my Miata in Edmonton in snow with OEM 14" tires and in
Vancouver 205/40-VR16 B.F. Goodrich Euro T/As--even when they were close
to bald...

...and I've made it work. :-)

But, yes: here in Vancouver it is mostly within a few degrees of
freezing. And it is unlikely that even 5% of my miles will be on snow.

That having been said, I'll take the new rubber out on an empty parking
lot the first time there's a chance to test them on snow. If they're
unworkable, I'll but the steel wheels with four snow tires back on for
the duration.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia