Old February 21st 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

Default 215/40-R16 Yokohama S.Drive tires

In article >,
Alan Baker > wrote:

> I do some winter driving on snowy roads, but I managed
> that alright when I as on my last set of 205/40 tires even when they had
> very little tread left.

Alan, it's not just a matter of tread. If you must drive on ANY amount
of snow, even just to get back into your driveway, then all summer tires
are out. Their rubber compound gets hard in low temperatures, and
driving in snow or ice is not just difficult, it's physically
impossible. You'll need to limit your search to all-season tires, or
resolve to leave the Miata home until the roads are clear. Summer tires
also lose grip in cold weather, but they have so much to start with,
it's not unsafe, merely limiting.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO