Old January 2nd 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

Default Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

>On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 06:00:04 -0500, Tim O > wrote:
>I stress out about racing clean in multiplayer racing sims/games,
>nearly to the point where it can remove the fun for me. I'd probably
>be a neurotic mess in iRacing.
>When I'm playing something like GT5 offline and find that I can
>exploit a weakness, I can't help but do it. I wind up taking advantage
>of how the AI slows too much for the first corner, go in way too hot
>then bounce off of them in the apex to keep me from going off the
>track. This slows them down and makes me faster. Once I'm in front, I
>just block as best I can. Its horrible, because its the perfect
>example of doing everything the wrong way to great success.
>Where I'm gonna get screwed is when I finally work up the nerve to
>race online. I'll try to race clean, be slow as hell and its going to
>be an all-around awful experience. Will probably have a bunch of 15
>year old creeps yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY FAGGOT!" the whole race,
>too.
>Tim

Tim - You decribe how online racing has always been on any given day
on open servers for any race sim. It's always been the biggest reason
open, unrestricted servers usually suck. There is no penalty for
smashing your way to the front, chopping corners, and doing other
infantile things to "win". IMO iRacing, though certainly not perfect,
is the closest thing to real world you will get. On a real racetrack
with real cars we do everything in our power to avoid ANY contact, and
that's what iRacing dictates. As time goes on and the service
improves, i'm sure they will tweak it so minor rubbing isn't an issue
(may even be there now, i've been away) as it isn't in most RL series.
The tracks are darn near perfect, the damage model is very good and
always improving, the onlinecode is the best available, etc. etc. The
only reason not to play is funds, but for $150 per year or so (that
includes buying a couple extra cars and tracks) I don't see cost as an
issue..

No vested interest in iRacing though I do have a decal on my 911 race
car.. :-)

GR