Old January 1st 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default Anyone got any thoughts on PS3/GT5?

(David G Fisher's Scrotum) wrote:

> I, too, just don't feel all that connected to what the car is
> doing, unlike in the MX5 of iRacing, for example.

iRacing remains, for me, the most satisfying sim cockpit to sit in. But after 2.5
years I'm no closer to being satisfied by the service that great code is trapped in.
It's turned into much more of an addiction for me than a hobby. :-)

Which is why I've fought my way through the Spa release and a couple of offers to
stop spending and try to go cold turkey at the end of the month.

No doubt this will be as successful in the long term as all my other attempts to
find a way to make iRacing work for me. They'll probably announce a proper MX-5
series the day before my sub runs out and I'll be tempted back down the rabbit hole
again. :->

I had hope rF2 would have arrived by now to help ease the transition, but NKPro
should keep my serious sim head exercised for a while... especially if that "Xmas
update" turns up soonish.

> I could forgive GT5 all of its minor flaws if it only had a damage
> model worth mentioning.

This isn't a big problem for me. In iRacing I consider even a x1 a (personal)
defeat and always aspire to get no incidents at all in any race or even testing
session. So in GT5 if I make contact with anything I don't need visual or handling
damage because I'm harder on myself than any sim can be. Besides, the way the AI
drives in GT5 you'd never finish a race if there was significant damage. :-)

I did some more GT5 yesterday and met a few more frustrations. It's started to
remind me of my early days at iRacing, when whenever I try to join a race it tells
me I have to buy something. But that's ok. I just end up back at the Ring in my
Merc for a while. I can think of worse fates!

Andrew McP