Old November 28th 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
loadhawg

Default Symptoms of Mechanical Fuel Pump Failure

Working w/ an '84 Pontiac Firebird 2.8L V6 (w/ carb). Found fuel
leaking out the bottom of the fuel pump. Pulled it and replaced it. I
noticed a small hole on the back side of diaphragm. I think this was
where the fuel was leaking from. So it doesn't appear to have been
getting into the engine like I remember fuel pumps doing back in the
day.

Q: Is this designed to vent fuel rather than letting it go into the
engine like they used to (in the event of failure)?

Q: How do you tell if gas got in the oil? I don't see any different
coloration and I don't 'smell' it (but changed the oil anyway)

Q: Can gas in the oil do serious engine damage? Or will it just
evaporate?

thanks