Old August 6th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default Check Engine Light Came On

XS11E wrote:

> Have you checked the oil level? If it's too low the check engine light
> will come on but if the level is OK then the problem isn't the oil.
>
> A year and 8 months is too long to go w/o an oil change.

Yes, conventional wisdom has always been 3,000 miles or 3 months,
whichever comes first.
Now there are endless arguments that you can go much longer, especially
when talking about synthetics. I think that Hyundai recommends 7,500
miles with dino oil.

Still, 6 months is the longest that I would consider between changes,
regardless of miles driven.

I watched my mechanic do an oil change on a Chevy van one time. He had
checked the oil and it was full but very dirty. When he took the drain
plug out, nothing happened.
He actually had to punch through a solidified piece of sludge that had
formed at the bottom of the oil pan to get the oil that was still fluid
dripping, and it dripped out thick and slow. The owner had never
replaced the oil in over 5 years, he just topped it off as it seeped
from bad seals.
Still, with a new filter and oil, the van drove away with no strange
sounds or smoke.

Pat