Old September 3rd 05, 05:32 PM

nashjeff wrote:
> My '91 Explorer is alive and almost well. While it may have several
> imminent ailments, the most problematic and anxiety-causing is the
> upper-left battery gauge. It seems to flicker like a stereo equalizer
> whenver I push the brake pedal or come to a resting idle.

It's "voltmeter".

This reminds me of a maddening problem I had with a Ranger which was
much like this. I traced an intermittant short thru the wiring harness
to the cigarette lighter/ashtray. I don't smoke, so I throw change in
there. I had left the lighter out of the socket when plugging something
else in, and a penny had slid down into the lighter socket- It didn't
make good contact, so it didn't blow the fuse or smoke, but the
vibration at idle would cause it to jiggle and intermittantly short. It
did make the voltmeter needle thrash around. So it could be something
like that- anything that intermittantly draws a lot of current. You
could pull fuses a few at a time to see if you can isolate it to a
particular circuit. Suppose you pull the dome light fuse and the
problem goes away. Look for a pinched wire or other similar problem in
that part of the wiring.

More info would help- does it crank strong? Does the battery hold a
charge if it sits for several days? Do your brake lights work
correctly?
-Paul