Old June 30th 11, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default Weird AC problem.

charlie > wrote:

> On 6/30/2011 1:46 AM, XS11E wrote:
>> > wrote:

> An off the wall guess is that there is a bit of crud floating
> around, and plugging the orifice. When the compressor shuts off,
> the internal pressures start to equalize, and may be causing the
> crud to move out of the way.

That's a possibility...

> The next question is when was the dryer changed?

Not since I got the car, probably never.

> With the old freon, anything you do is gonna be expensive.
> (Salvage, filter, reuse, etc. requires equipment that was not
> cheap!)

Fix is easy, evac system, remove receiver/drier and scrap, remove
compressor and drain oil, replace with R134a oil, replace
compressor, install new receiver/drier, evac and recharge with
R134a. Not all that expensive, even if a new/rebuilt compressor is
needed, I'v done it with no problems and found the cooling was not
reduced at all in spite of reading many comments to the contrary.

Unfortunately, I'm no longer able to do that nor do I wish to pay
the cost of having it done. The AC is very likely to remain
non-functional.

The Usenet Improvement Project: