Old June 29th 14, 04:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
jeanyves

Default BMWs and iPod Classics

On 2014-06-29 15:52:08 +0200, really real said:

> When we test drove a BMW 381i Touring (wagon) I took along my iPod
> which stopped working after one song. The salesman said they were
> incomparable with BMWs and suggested I get a newer iPod like a Touch.
> This was very bad news as the iPod classics are much bigger than the
> new ones and I need space because I put wave files on my iPod to get
> the best fidelity.
>
> We ended up getting the sports version of the 381i, with a better sound
> system, and my iPod seemed to work. However, on a recent road trip,
> the iPod finally started disconnecting.
>
> Fortunately, there was a fix for this, rebooting the iPod by holding
> down the middle and menu buttons at the same time until the Apple icon
> appeared. I had read on the internet that this would work, though for
> some people, it only works for a day. I had to to it twice on a three
> week road trip.
>
> The car also comes with a hard drive, but the hard drive only takes
> compressed files. The sound system also takes USB sticks but there
> seems to be no way to use Shuffle (random) with a stick.
>
> Actually, I can't figure out how to use Shuffle with my iPod but if I
> set it to Shuffle before plugging it in, that seems to work.

the hard drive is also (very) limited in song capacity : some 12Gb for
2500 compressed songs maximum.
I have no problem with an iphone, and theoretically an ipod classic has
the same 30 pins interface
so ?
there should be an audio input beside the usb input under the driver's arm
you can use it with your ipod, but you will loose the ability to skip
tracks on the steering wheel.

--

Jean-Yves.