Old October 7th 13, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

Default Chrysler 300m -> do you really need a power-steering fluid cooler?

On 2013-10-07, MoPar Man > wrote:
> Brent wrote:
>
>> The hose clamp idea won't likely work... maybe if it is on the
>> return side but still likely no.

> ?
>
> You're saying that even if the cooler is on the low-pressure (return)
> side, bridging the leak with a hose would likely not work?

The car I dealt with rusted PS lines on didn't take to such repairs on
either side of the system.

If you already know how to fix it, then fix it. Or this some stupid test
of how well people on usenet know each particular make model and year?

If it's held with hoses and spring clamps from the factory then it might
work. But keep in mind you have no flare on your tube ends to retain the
clamp or make for a good seal. You're relying entirely on the
compression of the clamp to do both jobs. Maybe that's enough maybe it's
not. Sometimes you're talking non-trivial pressure sometimes practically
nothing on the return side. Return hoses are spec'd at 250psi working
pressure, so the possible range is probably something like 0 to
80psi or so...

Found some references to back up the above:
http://standards.sae.org/j189_201207/
http://gatesupdates.com/common/downl...n/428-7172.pdf
"The pressure line must withstand pressures ranging from 800 to 1,300
psi. The return line normally carries no more than 50 psi."