Old August 18th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DaveW[_1_]

Default Thermostat Question 160 deg. or 195 deg.?

Kevin wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's informative responses. I knew there were some
> good reasons not to go to a 160 stat, it just really bugged me that the
> smog police would care about that. The only reason I believe my timing
> is on is because every mechanic / smog tech to have ever checked it is
> getting the exact same reading as I am, but I guess I should check it
> with a gauge. I have run water slowly into the carb and am on my 2nd
> tank of Chevron 91 octane gas, both have helped but it still has a way
> to go. I think I will go ahead and remove my Air Conditioning system
> since it doesn't work anymore anyway, and the condensor is right in
> front of the radiator.
> Thanks again for everyone's help.

Of course, the harmonic balancer could have slipped. This sometimes
happens on older vehicles. When it does, the timing mark moves and you
can't get a real reading with a timing light.

You might check to see if you are running lean for some reason...carb
adjustment, vacuum leak, etc. That will certainly make things hot and
pingy.

Regards,

DAve