Old September 10th 04, 05:44 PM
Joe Way

On 10 Sep 2004 10:23:48 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

>....Metallurgy 40 years ago wasn't what it is today, so a vehicle that made 100,000
>miles was a big deal.
>
>Charlie Self

=========================
I dunno, Charlie. There have certainly been improvements in metals,
but IMO the tremendous improvements in motor oil and especially fuel
management are mostly responsible for the ability to get 200k or more
out of modern engines.

Motor oils that really lubricate, and fuel injection systems that are
always perfectly calibrated to engine demand and that shut off
instantly so raw gas doesn't wash the oil off the cylinder walls,
leaving them dry for the next start...that's a beautiful combination.

I can still remember my grandad revving up the engine in his Buick
before turning off the key "...so there's gas in the cylinders for the
next start..." Ugh. That's a recipe for fast engine wear.

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive