Old September 10th 04, 02:48 PM
dreas

"Hans Sundkvist" > wrote in message
> OK! I see...
>
> Well, to be honest, my standards is the old Volvos and Mercens-Benz,
> that easily roll at least 500,000 km (ca300,000 miles) before showing
> major signs of wear... ;-)

500,000 km is usually the point at which most taxis in our fleet begin to
require more repairs and maintenance than before. By maintenance, I
mean universal and balljoint replacement, transmission rebuilds, and so
on...

> I have actually seen many volvo and Benz taxis here in Sweden with over
> a million km on the odometer...

I have even seen a few Chevrolets and Dodges with a million km. There
are a couple of Oldsmobiles that have been taxis for fifteen years, and if
they put the same milage on that I do [120,000 km a year] they may be
near the two million mark by now. With a gasoline engine you'd never
get that kind of longevity, but these old cars are running on propane...

> My father's 1975 benz rolled over 560,000 km before the rust finally
> retired the (still running good) car...

Do they use a lot of salt on the roads in Winter?

-'dreas