Old May 18th 05, 10:05 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article >,
says...

>In article . com>,
> "yahmed" > wrote:
>
>> Instead of timing belt, it has timing chain that automatically adjust
>> itself with time so no replacements are required.

>Don't believe that. Timing chains do require replacement as well.

True, but a chain only needs to be replaced when you rebuild the engine.
A chain that lives in a nice clean oil bath will last much longer than a
timing belt.

>Ask him what happens if the timing chain breaks.

Chains break much less frequently than timing belts. They usually give
you some sort of warning in advance, by the noise they make.

>Does the engine trash
>itself, or not? I think Toyota's are the non-interference type which
>don't trash themselves. At any rate, that's the important question. It
>doesn't matter if it's a belt or a chain.

Actually it does matter because belts have a shorter life span than a chain.

>There's still chance for
>breaking, and there's still a requirement to change (although a chain
>*should* go much farther in theory).

Not just theory.
Alex