Old May 12th 13, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default '02 300M: Change power steering and automatic transmission fluids--difficult?

On 05/12/13 08:20 am, MoPar Man wrote:

>> 126K miles now. I don't know whether the power steering fluid has
>> ever been replaced; I don't recall the need to do so ever having
>> been mentioned. A transmission problem was fixed under the extended
>> warranty just before 70K miles, and I assume that they did not
>> save and reuse the old fluid -- but with that dealer I wouldn't
>> be too sure.

> According to the service pamphlet that should be in the glove box, you
> should have already had the power steering and differential fluid
> changed already. Mine has been, probably 5 years ago.

I look at the service schedule from time to time without necessarily
remembering it all, but basically I had been relying on my (since
no-longer authorized) Chrysler dealer to tell me what needed to be done
when -- but supposing he'd rather get paid for a repair than for a
much-cheaper service?

> You and I both are at about the right time for the transmission fluid
> and filter to be changed.
>
> I had my timing belt changed 2 years ago, and I'd say that you should
> get that done now - you're over due. Along with changing the timing
> belt, change the serpentine belt, water pump, timing belt pulley and
> tensioner and a couple of gaskets / seals inside the timing belt cover.
> I kept my old timing belt and water pump. And because the water pump
> was changed, I have new coolant (it still had the original factory
> coolant - 11 years old and never added water).

Done.

But what about the other part of my question: how difficult and messy to
change those fluids? Worth paying to have it done?

Perce