Old February 12th 06, 12:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default C5 Belt Squeak

> I have a real problem with this discussion in that it contains the
> statement that "All C5 harmonic balancers are wobbly." and wonder how I
> got two that were not. I agree that there is some runout on the outside
> portion of some of the harmonic balancers but it don't "wobble" unless it
> is loose. If it is loose you retighten or replace the bolt as per the
> service bulletin. My present C6 has less than .01 runout checked by a dial
> indicator normally used to check tire runout. Belt wear is another item I
> can't understand as I've lost or replaced maybe 3 in well over 55 years of
> driving. My driving involved 70/100

I can't answer why some belts last and some don't. I'm not a car mechanic
so I don't know all of the various ways to measure run out on pulleys or
even really know how to adjust them if they weren't lined up (other than
flipping them over). In supercharger applications, the belt does run faster
than it would regularly. I would imagine that makes a perfect fit of the
serp. belt pretty critical. I can say though, that the stock waterpump
pulley does not have edges to it to line the belt up, it just sits wherever
it wants to. Like I said in an earlier post, I've learned a lot -- that's
what makes it fun for me. Being able to blow away EVERY Mustang and ricer
that's ever tried is kinda nice too. I'd love to come up a gainst one of
those new Ford Gt's..

-Stan